Sunday, May 1, 2011

Road trip

First off,i don't know whether it should be one word or two, but either way it raises a lot of thoughts and ambitions in any traveler.  I have participated in a road trip or two in my day, a couple of times across the country and a couple of times into America.  I was just out tonight with a good friend of mine with whom I've been on a couple of these trips and I have to say, it might be the purest form of travel.

So last summer we went to yellowstone park.  There were a few of us, and we decided to drive from toronto.  That basically took 35 hours of driving, fueled by redbull, snacks.and lots of coffee.  We loved the whole trip and the journey was definitely as important as the destination.

The thing about traveling by car is that you feel the distance between your origin and your destination.  When you hop into a plane and fall asleep and wake up in Italy, you don't get a sense of how far it is.   But when you sit behind the wheel and trade off with a good friend on driving shifts you get an idea of just how far you've come.

We went through the badlands of north dakota which was awesome.  We went through the grizzly bear, path which was snowcapped in july.  And we finally ended up on yellowstone.

Yellowstine is amazing, I dare say one of the best places I've been.  The geysers and the hot springs are astounding, and you can travel the world trying to see better but will likely come uo short.  The people were helpful, and hospitable , we were served burgers by a girl from prague jn s small town in montana where et stayed.  But what made it amazing and truly unforgettable was the 70 hour roundtrip with my wife and 2 of my good friends.  And the audio copy of catch 22 didn't hurt either.  It was a real feather in my cap.


No comments: