Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Notes on a scandal

Just surfing the tech press and am really put off by the news that both apple and google are storing or locational info.  I mean, as an ad guy I get the desire for more consumer data, you can never get enough.  It's every marketers dream to know exactly what your consumers want so you can sell it to them where they want it, when they want it.  But I always wonder if steve jobs and guy kawasaki get versions of the hardware without these privacy invading add ons.  Because let's face it for all the info I want on the consumers I am targeting, I don't want the marketers targeting me to get my info.

I read that an apple customer actually wrote jobs an electronic mail asking jobs to explain the software and mentioning that he would really hate to have to change to android because they don't "track my location" (which we know now to be untrue).  Jobs' only response: "yes they do".  Cool, great info steve, but what's your reason?

I wonder when exactly, or how a guy like jobs decides to completely sell his soul to corporate success.  Gates, totally get, and now he is atoning by trying to cure diseases and feed the hungry...but jobs seemed like he was the nice guy who you would want to have a beer with.  But while having that beer I never wanted steve's shareholders to know exactly where we were tipping those pints...

No comments: