Tuesday, January 10, 2012

5 Best Things About Coming Back From A Long-ish Vacation

My wife and I just recently got back from a great 3 weeks away.  We were in Russia, Ukraine and Poland.  It was fantastic, I think I gained 10 pounds from dumplings alone and don't even get me started on the amount of moonshine I had, I'm surprised I can still see.  But one of the purest pleasures of traveling which we have all experienced is stepping in the front door to your own home for the first time in a while.  For me, the below are the top five things I love about coming home.

5.) It smells like home.

One of the subtle things I like about traveling is that different countries smell differently.  It has to do with the plants that grow there, and the kinds of food people eat, it's proximity to water; all these things add up to give different areas of the world different smells.  Sometimes they can be jarring and according to Isaac Asimov we aren't supposed to talk about it.  Anyway, these foriegn smells make that first step into your own home all the better.  I have no idea what scents my wife uses to keep our home smelling the way it does, and fuck knows I certainly don't freshen the air, but our place smells great and it's very nice coming home after being away from it.

4.) Water from the tap.

Depending on where you are coming from this may not be an issue, but after brushing my teeth with bottled water for a few weeks I absolutely love the convenience of being able to use the tap.  Now, some people would say that you will be fine just brushing your teeth with the tap water in most places, but with so little vacation every year who wants to risk being sick for it? And that doesn't even mention having a big glass of water to drink right from the tap - love it.  The first thing I do whenever I get back from a trip is take a pint of glass from the tap and down it.

3.) Your own bed

I don't think this one needs elaboration.  Unless your bed sucks, it is 100% better than any hotel bed, even really nice hotels.

2.) Literacy

Although it's fun getting off a plane in an Arab country, or Asia, or in my most recent case Russia, and not being able to read the words written everywhere - it is a really interesting feeling to be surrounded by signs and ads that you don't understand.  But it also REALLY makes you appreciate being able to read so easily when you make it home.  When walking around your home town you take for granted being able to read everything around, but for the first day or two back, you notice how convenient it is again.

1.) Home cooking

Food in other countries is interesting and often delicious, but nothing beats the food coked at your home.  When I was growing up my mom made (and still does) killer lasagna, and now my wfe makes a ton of great food and when we are away I miss it.

Anyone else who has some interesting points about coming please share them with me, I would love to hear other people's points of view.

2 comments:

Brown Sugar said...

Good post. I would add to your last point and just say that I (and by "I" I mean my digestive system) love getting back to my normal eating routine. I find as soon as I get home from a trip my body feels agitated and out of sorts like it's saying "get back on track or I'll make you suffer". I always listen.

HB.

Unknown said...

Ha, totally agree...it's also nice to get back to a normal bathroom schedule. I find myself getting up in the middle of the night a lot to go, when I first get back.