Thursday, August 20, 2009

Labour Days

So, we have recently lost a few people at my work. On the way home from one of the going away parties I was listening to the Aesop Rock album Labour Days (he spells it incorrectly because he is american) and it got me to thinking how management in canada treats us lowly workers.

So, before you start crying about the fact that I haven't worked or whatever let me diabuse you of that notion.

I worked retail - for over 2 years I slung shoes for bata. They tried to call it athletes world and sell sport shoes, but at the end of the day it was me doing my best Al Bundy impression of trying to squeeze women into shoes that didn't fit them.

I built hockey arenas all over america. Talk about a pain in the ass...I worked with rednecks and had to share rooms with them.

I drive a truck. Not a moving van, an 18-wheeler, all over north america. Ya, exactly.

I bartended.

I worked in IT.

I work in advertising.

So, ya, I get labour. Listening to the album tonight reminded me how much management takes advantage of labour. Really if you think about it, without labour, management is just nothing. No productivity, no end result. So how is it that management gets away with treating workers poorly?

Oops, call Senator McCarthy, I don' t think I'm allowed to talk about this in public.

1 comment:

concert_button said...

And the worst part is that without management production will still go on. It might not work as efficiently or make as much profit, but it would still produce.