Sunday, January 11, 2009

To do list


So.....I am going to write a list of things that I think people should do in their life.  Now, this isn't a list of things "everyone" should do in their life....most people are douche bags and are content watching pro sports and drinking beer and not really doing anything with their lives (although you may question this statement after reading this blog, you know what I mean).  This list is for people reading this blog, you are definitely an elite group worthy of an elite list.  These are 10 things that I have done and that I think are 10 cool things that one could do, in no particular order.

1.) Take a soak in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.
This is a hot springs like no other.  There is a geo thermal power plant 500 metres away that was made to supply Reykjavik with power.  When they built it people started bathing in their holding pool that was created by the water the superheated to turn the turbines.  "This is a safety hazard" the plant operators figured, so they put up a fence.  People started climbing the fence to bathe.  Then some genius thought "Let's charge $30 to enter and bathe" and the Blue Lagoon was born.  A great way to spend a day.

2.) Go to a major league baseball game in the USA.
I'm not a huge sports fan, as I'm sure you can tell, but there is something about spending time at a ballpark in the USA truly an american experience, akin to watching a Sumo match in Japan.  There is a feeling of stepping back in time when watching a ball game at an older stadium in America.

3.) Watching a Sumo match in Japan.
I don't think I need to go into this one, fat guys chucking each other around, nuff said.

4.) Sleep with a stranger
Not sure why, and it's been years since I've done this, but there is nothing more exhilarating in the world than sleeping with a stranger.  Not knowing who they are, what they are about or what they believe.  Not something to do every day (unless you're into that), not even usually the best sex you can have, but something everyone should do at least once.

5.) Eat something you know you shouldn't.
I'm not talking about eating something rotten or something poisonous I am talking about eating something that your better judgement tells you that you shouldn't.  Like crickets or horsemeat; something that you have been offered and think "that's not right"; try it just once.

6.) Drink way too much.
It's a right of passage, most of us have done this, and those who haven't we all look differently at.  This is the sort of young mistake we all need to make in order to understand our peers. Could you imagine trying to read "on the Road" without having ever even drank too much.  It would really ruin the experience.

7.) Get Arrested.
Haven't done this (s maybe I'm cheating) but it seems like this is something that could really give one some perspective.  I think I need to do #6.) and then #7.) some time before I'm to old.

8.) See a real live elephant.
Maybe not an elephant specifically, but, for all of us there is some animal that when we were growing up seemed so impossible that, even though we knew it existed, we didn't really believe it was real.  For me this was an elephant, and the first time I saw one in real life (not at the zoo) was like a religious experience.  So be it a Great White Shark, Gorilla or Elephant, I think it is important to satisfy the child you once were with the real thing.

9.) Spend too much money on a day in the city where you live.
We all travel, and when we do we tend to spend a lot of money per day in foreign cities.  Just once one should take the same amount and spend it in their hometown.  It will help you to realize why people travel to your hometown from other places.

10.) Read a book they made you read in high school as an adult.
Grapes of Wrath, changed my life when I was 22, at 17 I don't think I got it.

Just a bit of advice from me to you.

Good Luck.

No comments: